Dental implants are dental restorations that function similarly to the real teeth. They are the only teeth replacement that can fuse in the jawbone. Because of the osseointegration process of dental implants, the lost tooth root can be replaced. However, the procedure is known to be lengthy and surgical. So for our patients at Chester Road Family Dental to prepare prior to their implant treatment in our clinic, Dr. Benjamin Dunham and Dr. Elizabeth Dunham would want them to know these things that will take place during the surgery:
Dental implant procedures are completed in multiple visits. These are the things to expect during the first phase:
- The dentist will inject local anesthesia to the area where the implant needs to be placed.
- After numbing the affected site, the dental professional will then expose the bones seated underneath by creating an opening on top of the gums.
- The bone will be drilled to provide a space for the prosthesis.
- Using a specific dental tool, the dentist will screw the dental implant on the created spot.
- Before proceeding to the next step, the dental professional will make sure that the implant clings comfortably on the site.
- Another material is screwed on the implant. This component of dental implants will stay in place during the healing period.
- The incision made from the gums will be sutured for it to close.
After the recovery process, patients are entitled to see the dental professional again.
- To re-expose the dental implant, the dentist will make a slit to the stitched gums again.
- The dentist will take an impression of the implant for the accurate fabrication of the dental crown.
- For the placement of a crown, the dental professional will require the patient for another visit as the prosthesis may take a certain amount of time before it is fashioned.
- Once the dental technician has finished crafting the dental crown, it will be sent back to the dental office.
- The patient is then ready to receive their final tooth replacement.
Do you need more information about Dental Implants in Chester, VA? Contact us at Chester Road Family Dental. You may visit our clinic as well. We are located at 11701 Chester Rd., Chester, VA 23831.